Enterprise Florida, Inc., on behalf of the Governor’s Office, is announcing a “Call for Entries” into the 2009 Governor Business Diversification Awards program. Eligible for participation are Florida companies in all industries, particularly emerging and high-technology fields: aviation/aerospace, homeland security/defense, life sciences, information technology, marine industries, manufacturing, and alternative energy fields. Corporate headquarters and financial/professional services are also encouraged to apply.
This year marks the 26th annual Industry Appreciation week. The Governor’s Business Diversification Awards event will be held in September, 2009 (actual date of awards ceremony TBD). Historically, this has been a popular event and Governor Crist recognizes its importance to local businesses and economic development organizations.
The program overview and 6 nomination forms are posted at: www.eflorida.com/govawards
Businesses will compete with others in similarly sized markets. These Awards will be given in each of the following categories (total of 18 awards)
- Governor’s Business Expansion Award- to companies that expanded its operations in 2008, investing capital and creating jobs for Floridians
- Governor’s Newcomer Award- to new-to-Florida companies that began operating in 2008
- Governor’s Export Excellence Award- to businesses that significantly increased documented export sales in 2008
- Governor’s Entrepreneurship Award- to start-up companies (less than 5 years old) that set the standard for entrepreneurship and creativity
- Governor’s Innovation Award- to companies, organizations or institutions* that, through product or process, best exemplifies innovative leadership
- NEW! Governor’s Green-to-Gold Award- to companies, organizations or institutions* that, through product or process, best exemplifies Green leadership as it pertains to Florida's goal to become a leader in this emerging field. Please see the program overview for additional information at: www.eflorida.com/govawards
- Mid Market – county population up to 150,000
- Major Market – county population 150,001 to 800,000
- Mega Market – county population 800,001 and higher
(Web link for businesses to check their county population: http://www.fl-counties.com/aboutflco/flmap.shtml )
Nominations are to be mailed to EFI’s headquarters and must be received by 5 p.m. EST Friday, July 24, 2009.
Winners and a local economic development representative will be invited to attend the awards reception at the Governor’s mansion in Tallahassee and are permitted to bring one guest.
Please direct questions and applications to:
Veronica Serrano or Liefke Cox
Fax: (407) 956-5599
Attn: Veronica Serrano
800 North Magnolia Ave
Orlando, Florida 32803
*The Governor’s Innovation and Green-to-Gold Award may be awarded to a company, university or college, or other organization.