Friday, July 8, 2016

OSA Student Chapter Alumni Talk: "The light at the end of the tunnel…and you’ve got the light part down!" By Evelyn Strunk, 7.12.16/10:30AM-11:30AM/CREOL RM 103

OSA Student Chapter Alumni Talk: "The light at the end of the tunnel…and you’ve got the light part down!" By Evelyn Strunk
Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
CREOL Room 103

http://www.creol.ucf.edu/People/images/200x300Portrait/13214.jpgEvelyn Strunk

Abstract: I am a Manufacturing Engineer for Lockheed Martin in the Optical Components Center. I work in a class 1000 clean room where we use a photolithography process to make the coating for the exterior windows under the F-35 that shield EOTS (Electro-Optic Targeting System). There are many daily challenges that I face as an engineer and not all pertain to engineering itself. It was not an easy adjustment coming from school and going straight into industry and I will share what some of the challenges are and how I work towards overcoming them. I will explain why I chose life in industry instead of academia and my personal battle between getting a Master’s vs. a PhD. I will also share the details about how I landed my interview and position for my dream job and my journey that lead me here.

Biography: Originally from Florida, I wanted to stay in the sunshine state. I graduated from UCF undergrad with a degree in Physics in May 2014. While I was in undergrad I started doing research with the Nonlinear Optics group, where I continued doing research while pursuing my Masters. I graduated with my Master’s in December 2015 and had a job lined up since September 2015. I am currently a Manufacturing Engineer at Lockheed Martin.

For Additional information:
Md Javed Rouf Talukder

No comments: